Ban Chiang World Heritage Site

Planning your holiday in Udon Or Issan Area and have questions or a resident that's visited somewhere of note, let us know.

Ban Chiang World Heritage Site

Postby UdornLA » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:25 pm

This little gem is located about 50 kms outside of UT, on the SN road, hwy 22. Little is literal, as it is a small town with large archeological significance. Causing the re-writing of the migration theory, since forging tools and community of about 5000 yrs. was discovered there. There is a small museum, and should be a replica of the dig site somewhere, as I have seen it in the past , but did not look for it on this trip, along with going into museum, saw it a couple times, revamped a while back and will hold your interest for about ½ hour, unless really into archeology.

It is a pleasant town, and not touristy at all, in fact, rather dead, which could be counted as a plus for a day out or overnighter. With exception to one weekend a year, they put on a 2 week celebration, some info and pics / vids of that at link below, which is when we stay here last:

http://www.udontalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3870&start=10

There is the main street in front of museum, which has a lake area to the one side, and the street is lined with shops selling all things Ban Chiang, actually some nice and inexpensive stuff. My preferred shop is as you exit the museum, look left to the street headed directly into museum and a shop on the corner, seems to have best prices of things most sell. Used to have a better selection of unique stuff, but didn’t notice much this trip, as I have filled up the back seat a couple times there.

Food options are a bit limited; you’ll notice a larger soup noodle shop, to the left, looking out of museum and another smaller shop to the right, which I’ve eaten in both, fresh cooked, safe and good flavor. Then a few other ma / pa shops around the area.

Accommodations, we stayed in one of 3 homestay places I noticed. Again exiting museum, about 50 meters on street directly in front to museum and on the right, you will see one place, the larger of the 3, which was full with news crews, so we opted for another. Again, exiting museum and turning right, to the next intersection, about 100 meters on the left hand corner, hard to miss, a newly finish as of 1 week ago, and still doing touch ups. 600 for ac / shared bath maybe inflated for this weekend. But very clean, very safe and off street parking. Coffee / hot chocolate and biscuits in the morning if your pleasure, self-serve on veranda. Plenty of sitting areas about, walking distance to everything, as the furthest anything is away, is only 200 meters. Couple side streets feeding the main street in front of museum but basically the one headed directly into museum had any amount of shops on it. Then a couple shops sprinkled around town. A smaller homestay is in between the museum and 2nd one mentioned above, about half way to that one, on the left, as museum grounds dominate the one site of main street along with community center and lake area. We noticed that as we were leaving and didn’t look inside. Some pics below of the one we did stay at.
UdornLA

Re: Ban Chiang World Heritage Site

Postby UdornLA » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:27 pm

Last edited by UdornLA on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UdornLA

Postby johnwills » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:37 pm

The home stay looks nice but as I've said before Ban Chaing is really boring and not somewhere I would recommend.
johnwills
Been around a long time

Postby UdornLA » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:44 pm

i'll agree with that, wouldn't be on the top of my list and only if you've seen everything, and a little bored, good for a day out, short stop at museum and little shopping, but not a whole lot of interest, unless into archeology, and that's a stretch. but was nice overnighter, being the town was putting on an event.
UdornLA

Postby UdornLA » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:24 am

doing their yearly festival again, we went in 2011, and was a relaxing weekend. overnighted, which is recommended, just to beat the traffic that weekend. about the only time the town is festive. can't find the english version of prome, will look.
some pics:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3870&hilit=ban+chiang&start=10

UdornLA

Postby Shado » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:53 pm

We had a visitor from the states this week. One day we went to Ban Chiang. We've taken visitors there numerous times during the last half dozen years. In the past the entrance fee has been ฿30 for Thais and ฿150 for foreigners. This aggravated me no end to pay 5x the rate as locals and each time I would show them my Thai driver's license and tell them that I lived in Udon Thani, but to no avail. They still charged me ฿150.

This week I did the same assuming that both our guest and I would be paying the foreign rate. The girl at the counter looked at my license and asked if our guest also lived here. I said that she didn't and was visiting from the states. The nice young lady behind the desk charged the wife and me ฿30 for our tickets and ฿150 for our guest. It was the first time in all these years that I was allowed to into the museum at the Thai rate.

Hopefully this wasn't a one-off and they have changed their policy. Perhaps enough farangs have expressed their displeasure that the management has begun to understand the message. I know that I always let them know that I wasn't pleased with paying the foreigner rate. Thanks to any other farangs who may have let them know that the 5x foreign visitor charge was not appreciated by those of us who live here.
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode. There never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.
Shado
Been around a long time

Postby Pit Pratoo » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:50 pm

I'd have paid the the farang rate and surreptitious destroyed something of equal value. (In Nog waeausheuaer this term equivicates into :smash into my car, I'll give you at least ten thou) This nasty shit gets on my tits. Thailand needs to grow up.
Pit Pratoo
Ultra Advanced Member

Return to Tourist & Sightseeing Information