Loei trip report

Planning your holiday in Udon Or Issan Area and have questions or a resident that's visited somewhere of note, let us know.

Loei trip report

Postby UdornLA » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:25 pm

Out and about, usually clean, safe, inexpensive accommodations, preferably without breakfast provided as usually a disappointment. Out of Udon Thani, it's fairly a straight shot on Hwy 210 via NBLP, till hwy 201, turn right heading north. Usually stay in town/municipality, which has a sign directing you that way at NokKeaw Rd, a right, which turns into ChumSai rd on other side of circle. Stayed at King Hotel, just past the circle, 2nd building I think. A car park is in the rear, BUT, entrance to car park is also from the rear, so if planning ahead, continue around circle and take 1st left, or go past the hotel and around the block at first right turn,. Entrance on parallel street behind. Rate was 500 baht, inc. 1 ABF, or 2 rice soups, BUT, strangely, if wanting another rice soup, was told 100 baht charge, go figure. Room was fine, Thai cable, location excellent. Night market, which was very laid back and nice, w/good offerings. Enjoyed the salad bar, 7 baht per 100 grams, clean and fresh, couple dressing to chose, and free water station for her customers, along with soap and water, for those wishing to wash hands............a first anywhere. Location of night market was exit front of hotel, go right, to corner, then that whole street till next corner, which is same street for parking entrance to hotel, so can travel either direction.

Also very close to the lake in town, with shops around same. All within walking distance. Exit parking lot of hotel, or exit front door and go left to corner and hang a left. Should see park/lake shortly, mere 100 meters from parking lot corner. Upon approach to lake, a road encircles the lake, then a small walkway circles the lake itself on other side of street. At that intersection, you can either bear left and cross foot bridge to park island, almost an island, or, hang a right, stay on the shop side of road, and enjoy a very nice Rum/raisin ice cream sundae, or you favorite coffee, hot or cold desert style, along with some finger cakes, or a tuna or ham/cheese sandwich I noticed on menu. All inexpensive, 2 scoop sundae, 25 baht, yummy. Then cruise around the park, and get a smoothie, 40 baht to refresh afterwards, again at the “something Coffee Bar.

The breakfast was a disappointment, no surprise, ABF, one slice sandwich ham, 3 little wieners, scrambled eggs by request, as the others looked cold, fresh toast, and ok instant coffee. As disappointing as that was, the rest of the menu was rather nice and well priced. At all times of the day, the small restaurant was full. Had one meal there, no complaints.

Have also stayed at Sun Palace, bit cheaper, no brekkie, no loss, same general area, as all things are within walking distance.

A mere 2 day stop, a couple pics below, not much that I can be added to BM’s fine collection of shots on 1st page of thread, well done BM. One old shot of Phu Rua.

COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER: all reports and pictures are the original thoughts of mine, or pics have been used with permission from original photographer, only this thread, lake pics (thank you beermonkey). even though these same report and pics may have been used on other websites, they are copy and pasted from my journey, and my property. anyone may use them for any non commercial personal use, though altering any pics will require my written consent. thank you.
UdornLA

Re: Loei trip report

Postby UdornLA » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:26 pm

UdornLA

Postby UdornLA » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:26 pm

UdornLA

Postby UdornLA » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:33 pm

September 2009

Accommodation options near Phu Rua National Park, stayed at Phu Rua Resorts, less than 5 kms to road to park, I think, which there is also a small market and food vendors, in case wanting a snack away from resort restaurant. Of course after breakfast, we went to the department store (7-11) for some snacks, beverages I always bring with me, in cooler, just in case no frig, and I’m a CC.

PRR, not Royal PRR, not PRR Chalets, but PRR, on left, about 45 kms after turn to park from 201 to 203. The room, cheapest, 800 baht separate bungalow, basic, hw/frig/ac/twin firm beds/balcony, semi private, no sex, well, maybe at night, if bold. Nice view from balcony, 2 pics below, as a stream runs behind whole resort, nice background noise, and also a nice hill along the length of resort also. Making for nice views. Can manage a little shade on balcony, one corner where I was for a bit, till ready to type this, as all downloaded and ready to be put in reply. Then the afternoon heat got to me. Breakfast / dining area was very nice area to sit and relax, as shaded in parts outside, if not, inside area w/fan and still nice view of countryside/hill/falls/stream, pics below.

Restaurant…..for dinner, I had the ‘panang chicken’, special order, 95. Ree, stomach not up to par, shitake mushroom and shrimp 110, being the high end of stir fries, veggie stir fry being the low end, 60. The rest 85-95. Rest of the menu is fairly priced, with exception of soups, tom ka/tom yam starting at 120. One water, and dinner was 230 w/30 tip/260 total. Room comes w/brekkie included, as asking what it was at check in, rice soup or fried rice……….oh joy. Pleasantly surprised, it was actually quite good, as we both went with fried rice/shrimp, which came with toast and quite tasty coffee. So the CC in me calculated, fr/t/c…50/20/30, making 2 breakfasts a 200 baht value, so 600 for the room, a fair price, due to location location location.

The plus…………location, all things facing stream and hillside, and nice falls at the restaurant deck area.

The negatives, website says 800, Ree called ahead, 800, ok, reservation, hang up, before asking name, go figure. Arrive, quoted 900, which usually I would simply turn around and leave, but sitting in car for almost 6 hours, I took the long way w/stops, conversation ensued, called, blah blah blah, then woman sitting at computer turns and acknowledges call, after to long a wait, obviously waiting for us to say, ok, 900, but notices I’m ready to leave, and all is squared away, at ‘our special rate’. so have the little lady call and make reservation, or you will be faranged when checking in. The room, good and bad, good..location again/balcony, bed next to window for ac’d view, the bad, lack of good initial building skill, and maintenance, hmm, big surprise. Would compare to top mansion or ruysuk, nothing special, except location, and TM/RS better maintained. Hot water was warm, not a problem now, but here during cool season, I don’t think it would feel very warm, as coming out of ground much colder. An extension cord, is recommended if having any electrical with you, as I always do. Only one outlet, with 2 plug ins, tv/frig. Dresser with light, actually no bulb, as nowhere to plug in anyway, and light in bathroom, exposed, instead of glass covering which was missing, along with a partially screened vapor exhaust area to roof, hence mozzie entrance, so bring your mozzie zapper, ‘don’t leave home without it’

Besides the negatives, actually minor, I’m almost nit picking, but it is a ‘resort’, and hoping the high end rooms are in better shape, or I wouldn’t consider them a good value. Apparently negative not a problem, as we stayed another night. Consider it a decent value for the area, and of course, that location thing, especially if planning on going to PRNP, which is not for me, as been there when free, or allowed in, I’m special, as we got there so late, no charge as closing within hour of so, a few years back. Went to main overviews, nice, but nothing different from the country side I drove thru this time, taking the kut chap road, to ban phu, then coming in loei from the north, 290 kms total, much slower than direct route, but much nicer scenery, which meant slow at times, as many curves and hills to negotiate. But very nice, so for me, CC, no need to pay 200/me, 50/car, 20-40 thai entrance fee for park, to basically see the same thing. IMO, think the drive was better than what’s in the park. Ok, enough, pics below, hope this helps, I would recommend a stay there, or at least a reservation, as there are many other places on the way into the park, none of which I checked out, you may want to before checking in, but stop and look at the view from restaurant first, then do little recon, probably return unless finding something better. I was too lazy and late in afternoon to look. Did stop at florra hill resort on the way, 650 w/brekkie, passed on it, as tried to scam us for more expensive room, saying none available, and one that is, someone checking in early tomorrow, so can’t rent out…………………yea right. And very few cars in the parking area or room areas, must be packed. At PRR, I believe we were the only ones staying there.
UdornLA

Postby UdornLA » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:15 pm

from the back breakfast/dining/sitting area

this one with a lite overnight rain, same place
UdornLA

Postby UdornLA » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:16 pm

ok, back home, direct route 203/201/210, 200 kms/3 hrs, as opposed to arrive north of loei, 290 km/6hrs, with couple stops, lunch and check out land and quick tour of ban phu. quick pace back to udon, not too many problems passing and as pointed out, nobody passing me, which the reason for one of the 2 quick stops, 1 pit stop, 1 money stop/100 baht, as i was the only dummy in the right lane as we crested the hill, immediately got over, as i saw them way down bottom of hill, almost hit the one, as trying to play 'busy talking, not looking, so can't stop', didn't work, 2nd officer in direct line of being hit. thought about pulling a Stan, but not that location as couple stations up the road if wanting to call ahead. of course the usual routine, license, give him both, hands me one back, then says, hey, mb license, well, you had then, pick one. speeding, 120, don't think so, passing truck, now chit chat time, where from, how fast they drive there................honey, talk, he's not writing, ask what he wants..........now please, he's turning page.........can pay you, so don't have to go back to NBLP, 100 BAHT/BYE. she's a little slow at time, if they don't take the license, and get out of the sun and start writing right away, they would rather have the money, but he wasn't going to ask, have to offer. can i pay you instead of ticket and going back to NBLP...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

in his defense, i was and am usually speeding, but so was everyone else. don't lie to me and say you have speed strips, just ask and lets go. no complaints, friendly chap, better than the alternative, but.... 8-)
UdornLA

Postby G_Seven » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:21 pm

Very nice reports LA and the photo's are great to <:>
Looking forward to reading more of your travel reports about the rest of Thailand in Travelers Tales <:>
G_Seven

Postby UdornLA » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:16 pm

Looking forward to reading more of your travel reports

be careful what you wish for :lol: :lol: presently taking off my journal, while i have good wifi, any new additions will be smaller pics, but right now too easy just to copy what i have without re-uploading pics. 8-)
UdornLA

Postby aznyron » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:33 pm

Hey LA glad to see you came aboard get Rito to come also I do not have his email or I would have sent him one also I did send Mark (WBU) a email surprise surprise I swear I did BTW I got banned from you know were LOL
for calling Lee thin skinned in a PM
aznyron
Ultra Advanced Member

Postby UdornLA » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:38 pm

I got banned from

about time, i would of banned you a long time ago, just on general principles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

my last 3 post got deleted, St. Doug was mentioned in them, oh well. (:) (:)
UdornLA

Next

Return to Tourist & Sightseeing Information